About the Job
VIRGINIA EDUCATION ASSOCIATION
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT FOR POSITION OF
RICHMOND EDUCATION ASSOCIATION UNISERV UNIT
Date of Posting:August 21, 2017
Deadline for Applying:September 5, 2017
Reports to:Manager, Office of Organizing and Field Support
Position and Area Description:
The Richmond Education Association UniServ Unit is currently staffed by one UniServ Director and one support staff. Total membership for the unit is approximately 1,292.The UniServ office is located within the city of Richmond, VA. The Richmond Education Association UniServ Unit is currently undergoing a merger with the Maggie L. Walker Education Association to form a new UniServ Unit, so this position will serve to local associations in the near future.
- At least a B.A. or B.S. degree
- Demonstrated skills in developing strategies to foster positive change
- Successful work experience in public schools or associations advocating for public schools
- Political Awareness
- Demonstrable high-level knowledge/skills in all areas of association activities, including:
- effective verbal skills including presentation skills
- clear, concise writing skills
- knowledge of technology and application to work assignment
- demonstrated skill in desk top publishing
- highly developed and effective interpersonal skills
- demonstrated positive collaborative working relationships with others
- conflict resolution/mediation skills
- conceptualizing, developing and delivering training and organizational programs
- skill in project management, assessment, and evaluation
- demonstrated effectiveness in counseling, coaching, and mentoring
- ability to be flexible – shifting priorities/resources with a positive attitude
- strong public relations skills
- starter who can work without direct supervision
- political awareness of campaigns and lobbying
Core Job Functions
- Assist local leadership in developing and implementing year-round membership recruitment and retention plans
- Assist in the design and execution of association/rep building level leader training
- Assist local leadership in providing association visibility in worksites where building local leaders/ARs have yet to be identified
- Assist local leadership in identifying potential building-level leaders/ARs.
- Assist locals in the recruitment and leadership development of Education Support Professionals
- Assist local leadership to develop capacity for advocacy and activism within the membership and larger community
- Provide consultation to members and local Associations on and work to protect member rights and working conditions
- Perform administrative function in local UniServ offices and service areas, including, but not limited to, oversight of office calendars and schedules, supervision of support staff, oversight of office budgets, etc.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the IMS and other related membership information systems as NEA/VEA may employ
- Provide guidance to local leadership on the procurement of office equipment, local staff and space and any contracts/leases and record-keeping associated with same.
- Coordinate state and national resources including raising awareness of member benefits
- Provide salary and negotiations/meet and confer consultation and related training to local leaders
- Develop members’ leadership and organizing skills through training workshops
- Assist in legislative and political activities and maintain familiarity with federal, state and local legislation and policies affecting members.
Salary and Fringe Benefits:
Salary is negotiable depending upon applicant’s experience and qualifications. Effective September 1, 2017 the VEA/Staff Master Contract has a salary range of $57,838 to $96,839for 2017-2018. The contract also includes an excellent fringe benefits package.
Send a resume along with a cover letter and contact information for three references with telephone numbers to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for receipt of materials is September 5, 2017.
VEA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
• Post ID: 28048903 richmond